I am pretty sure I was paid incorrectly at my former job, but I don’t work there any more. Aren’t there time limits for trying to do something about it?

There are time limits for making a claim for underpaid wages. In New York, you can generally go back for up to six years. Under federal law, you can go back up to two or even three years depending on certain factors. Basically if you’ve worked anywhere in the past six years where you feel that you’ve been underpaid it’s at least worth asking the question to see if you can, indeed, recover money to which you’re entitled. There’s certainly no requirement at all that you still be working at the job where you had this pay situation.

And, again, if it’s been anytime in the past six years, talk to a lawyer, see if there’s something that you can do about it because you deserve to be paid the wages that you’re entitled to.

Written by AndersonDodson


AndersonDodson, P.C. is a law firm dedicated to holding employers accountable for paying their employees correctly. We are aggressive and tenacious when we need to be, if that’s what it takes to get the job done. Sometimes the playground bully needs to be brought down a notch, and we are plenty equipped for a fight if it becomes necessary. But we also don’t go looking for a fight. Our mission is to get our clients paid what the law says they deserve, not to stir up trouble where none is needed. Trouble is distracting from life, and living life should always come first.

Share Your Thoughts